Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tyler, the Creator- Yonkers

If you're like me, you find that rap has become soft. In fact, I find it humorous that when I listen to popular hip-hop and rap nowadays I find myself noticing that the latest Gaga single is far more edgy and controversial than any of the bluster about one's "swagga". Rap, which used to be a platform for pushing boundaries and experimenting with topics that are supposed to be taboo, has now become little more than a soundtrack to your high school sister's sleepover. 
This is where Tyler, the Creator comes in. Not only is the production of this song harsh and weird, but the content of the song is edgy, and makes you uncomfortable. You find yourself saying, "Is he allowed to say that?" You find yourself drawn to the music because you see someone giving voice to the fucked up thoughts that you know have always existed, but no one was bold enough to say. Finally, something real.

No comments: