Thursday, March 10, 2011

Way Yes, Stepdad, This Is My Suitcase at Carabar


This Tuesday, two of the more popular pop acts in Columbus, Way Yes (who I have already raved about) and This Is My Suitcase joined up with Grand Rapids band Stepdad at Carabar. This turned out to be one of the better local shows I've been to recently. Way Yes kicked things off with a per usual (aka great) performance, busting out more from their "Herringbone" ep than I have seen in a while. What was cool is that it seems this band is finally starting to get a good following. The bar was packed most of the night and it was pretty sweet to see many people dancing to their weird rhythms.

Stepdad wants to be Dan Deacon. And maybe Passion Pit. They have great stage presence and really catchy songs. But I had a qualm with how only the bassist played (sometimes poorly) his instrument. Also, while stuck in the sweaty gyrating throng that was the crowd during their set, I was hoping for a an inkling that this band was more than just a hook and bright colors, but I never saw that. Basically, Stepdad wants to be Dan Deacon. I want that too.

This Is My Suitcase closed the show with a set full of all new material. While initially I groaned at this, I was pretty happy with their new songs. They seem to go into a way less cutesy, more punk driven direction. This showed during the times when they were playing. Joe has alway been a little on the insane side, but he pulled out all the stops, playing some really sick pop hooks while jumping around the stage like some insane marionette. I do wish they would have talked less in-between songs (guitar tuning issues mainly to blame), but when they played, they did so with more emotion and enthusiasm than any band in Columbus. Overall a great show.

Here's a vid of the new song "At Least the Geese Survived" from Tuesday

No comments: